Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Aug 2006 18:11:16 EDT
From:         Jim Morgan <JM060356@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Gas tank R and R update

Greetings All .

Just a quick up date on the gas tanks reseal and a big THANK YOU for the tips and prayers.

1) the plastic trim around the filler ROTATES to remove after the screws are removed. Found out the hard way, now I have to order a replacement. 2) On a original tank that has never been removed the crossover vent line does not just pop out of the tank. It took me a hour of trying to get enough leverage to get them out and finally they did pop out. ( fat hands and wrists) 3) jacked up the van so that the front wheels were 2 inches off the ground. Bent the ears of the rails so that they would just pull out after the 13 mm bolt was removed from the front of the rail. ( This was a great tip from the list ) 4) A floor jack was very helpful in lowering the tank out. ( no helper around) 5) The plug for the sender was corroded on and it pulled out of its connector. ( bummer) 6) Got tank out and it was really bad. ( bad tank, bad ) 7) Got a replacement from my guru. It was free to a good home. ( wanted it out of his way) 8 ) Found that the connector on the coolant tank is the same and spliced in ( had a old wire harness and cut one off ) 9) Installation went without incident. 10) took me two days to R and R and all of the running to get parts and stuff. 11) cost $90.00

Jim Morgan 86 GL auto 247,000.0