Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Aug 2006 18:45:28 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: CV R&R questions
Comments: To: Aaron <lists@MYCOMMUNITYNET.NET>

Aaron,

From your description, it sounds like all your CV's are questionable at best. The descriptions of dried grease, boots disintegrating, etc, says to me they are gone. You will be way ahead of the game to replace the CV's with new ones, along with new boots. You really can properly inspect the CV's without cleaning all the grease from them to inspect them. As I said, from your description, I would say they have had it. If you buy kits you will get a new CV in each kit, a tube of grease, a new boot with metal cap on one end, and 6 new 12 point internal cap bolts - Porsche style. One you replace all your CV's with new stuf, you can have peace of mind when on the road. If you keep them serviced and the boots inspected, you will get 200,000 plus miles on the new CV's in all probability.

If you remove and replace the CV's, do yourself a favor, get a decent pair of lockring pliers made specifically for the type of lockring that is on the axle. Right tool for the right job. It's worth it.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Aaron wrote: > Hello all. > > I have an '85 westy automatic that is new to me. I am replacing a bad > tranny which is going fine - except for getting the top 8mm hex > starter bolt off. Any tips?. But that's not what I am wondering about. > > I have my CV's off and am a bit concerned about them. What little > grease is in there is mostly dried out. Also on one, the cover on the > outside of the CV came off after removing it. It's hard to describe > what it is, but it's basically the metal piece that has the boot > attached. The other end of it slips over the outside edge of the CV > joint. In this case, the entire cover easily slipped off and exposed > the outside of the CV as well. Other than the bolts is there anything > that is supposed to secure it? > > So my questions are: > > 1) Repair or replace the CV's? (I can figure out the replace part, > but I'd prefer to not spend the $$$) > 2) If repair, what should be done to repair them? Eg. Do I have to > remove the entire thing (by removing the outer CV too) or should I > just clean up the outer in place and pack some new grease in there? > Whats the best way to clean them? > > I would prefer to get it all done in one shot. Any other seals etc, I > might replace? I'm going to replace the ones that seal the ATF from > gear oil. Any other seals or parts that might be good to replace? > >