Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:17:29 -0700
From:         Aaron <lists@MYCOMMUNITYNET.NET>
Subject:      Auto tranny questions...

Hello all. I'm back again with more tranny related questions..

I have removed the tranny and just had some easy questions. I do have to say that so far I much prefer doing this on a manual, but it isn't so bad. Just a few extra things to take care of. MY biggest mistake was thinking I had removed the accellerator cable and it wasn't quite disconnected and I may caused some damage to it when trying to drop the tranny.

Anyway, my tranny was INCREDIBLY dirty. I started to clean it all off so that I could find the bolts. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the greasy dirt was 1/2" thick on the top. The problem I was having with the starter removal was that it was crudded in and I couldn't get it to separate. Anyway, on to the questions.

While handling it, I allowed the torque converter to come out a couple of inches (I did a bad job of wiring it in). I stuck it back in, but is there anything that will go wrong with it if it comes slightly loose but is stuck back in?

The inside of the ?bell housing? is extremely greasy/dirty as well. Should I just leave it alone or should I scrape/blast/??? it out. I'm afraid that dislodging dirt might be worse than leaving it alone.

As long as I'm mentioning dirt, what do you all use to clean it off well. I used a large and small wire brush, some solvent, and elbow grease. It's good, but not perfect. Is there a miracle product beside liberal amounts of elbow gerase?

Thanks all for the help so far. I'm hoping to have this van back on the road this week for some end of the summer fun!

- Aaron '85 Sunroof Vanagon with 300k miles '85 Brown Westy 140k miles