Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Aug 2006 05:15:30 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: cruising speed and MPG
Comments: To: John Lane <westy_cruisin@YAHOO.COM>

Man, that is a serious optical illusion, but.........BTDT!!! First time I was ever in the Smokies years ago was in a beetle and I observed that of which you speak. It was a strange feeling!!

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

John Lane wrote: > GPS is a wunnerful technology.....my Garmin GPSMap 60CSx got me to PA from Corpus Christi without so much as looking at a map. My 83.5 has new Vanco-8's and 190K on the odo...I averaged right at 20 mpg for the 1800 mile trip...as for speedo variance....65 actual is 81 indicated. One thing I did notice and at first thought it was an optical illusion, which it was....there were times in the Smokies when it 'looked' like I was level or going downhill, but a quick look at the GPS showed my altitude increasing, I thought it strange that I had to accellerate on level or going downhill...took me awhile to adjust to it. > > John > > > levi hawkins <b1levi@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > I have an 85 1.9 westy with 185r14 and both odo and speedo are close according to gps. An indicated 102 miles is actually 100, .....51 mph indicated is actually 50. > I've been in Seattle for about 2 weeks now and am surprised to be getting 20 m.p.g. in this steep city. I only drive about 55 on the highway and usually get around 24-25. Long live the 1.9! > > Dennis Haynes wrote: > Most 1.9 do not have power steering or AC. The speedometers on most 1.9L vans is grossly optomistic, to the point of being silly. You think you are cruising at 70 but you may not even be doing 60. Based on aerodynamics alone, 70 requires almost 30% more fuel than 55. The odometers are also optimistic by ~4% so you are not going as far as you think. > > > > > --------------------------------- > Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less. > > > > --------------------------------- > Do you Yahoo!? > Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta. > > >