Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Aug 2006 16:42:17 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Having a problem with a starter (solved!)
Comments: To: gary hradek <hradek@yahoo.com>

I found the problem. It had nothing to do with the starter after all. The lady had this engine installed a while back and she said it had been having an idle problem since it was installed. The engine would not idle when cold, run rough and backfire on top of the slow turning over starter. I checked through all of the Digijet FI tests and swapped over a known good Air Flow Meter to no avail. Finally I decided to check the valve adjustment. Bingo! The valves were adjusted super tight! It was making the engine super tight and turn over too hard. Then as soon as the lifters pumped up (within 30 secs after start up) the lifters were keeping the valves from closing all the way. I set the valve lash to zero lash and now it cranks right up and idles nice!

Thanks for all the help and advice. I hope this helps someone else who is going through a similar dilemma.

Thanks again, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com http://www.eurovan.org http://www.vwcabrio.org Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242

-----Original Message----- From: gary hradek [mailto:hradek@yahoo.com] Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 3:16 PM To: Kenneth Wilford Subject: RE: Having a problem with a starter

Ken, Starter came with new solernoid? right? How did the gears look on the old? Look at the flywheel as well and move the flywheel to see if it moves freely. Does the starter get hot? good luck, gary