Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Aug 2006 19:10:45 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: New Engine?

The page at the first link in my initial post has the line "The MYT Engine has been tested with fuel and air motoring on our Dynamometer." I wasn't sure what to make of that so I googled the thing and found some other references to fuel runs and dyno tests, etc.

Basically I'm curious if the theory is sound. As for their paranoia, I think it's perfectly justified. Aside from anything else, patents themselves don't protect you from anything, you need money and lawyers for that. In my googling I came across another very similar design that is 'in development' as well, for instance. That's all aside from the issue of whether or not you really need to be paranoid about Big Money Oil thugs showing up in your bedroom in the middle of the night.

The thought I had about the that 'bean can' sized engine was that it didn't seem like components that small could handle the stresses necessary to move a car in any practical manner. I'm a long way from any kind of engineer but you'd think the crank on the thing would have to made of unobtanium.

Another thing did occur to me; I've been reading for years about the car design using dual electric motors on each wheel (for forward/reverse brake and reverse/forward brake, as well as 'waste motion' generation) that would run off of a main generator. The big hang-up seemed to be that in order to generate that kind of juice you'd wind up with a big enough engine that you might as well have a conventional drive train. I wonder if this thing worked that it wouldn't solve that particular problem.

If the thing can be made to work as claimed it would be huge.

Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Collum" <collum@VERIZON.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 5:07 PM Subject: Re: New Engine?