Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Aug 2006 22:04:51 -0400
From:         Dennis <guskersthecat@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      1990 Westy AC 3rd speed and condenser fan - Resolved

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 13:26:39 -0400, Dennis <guskersthecat@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>I'm about to get into a diagnostic tustle with "The Grape" which has an >R134a retrofitted AC system. When I did the I4 conversion we also replaced >the receiver/dryer, evap valve, hoses, and the balance of the R134a kit. > >There are two problems remaining that remain unsolved and affect the >efficiency of the system. > >1. The front radiator fan is supposed to go on (medium speed) when the AC >is activated. The 1990 has a 3 speed rad fan (single really but controlled >with a resitor block). The fan has never gone on with AC, however when >I "jump" the relay at position 5 on the fuse block, the fan does indeed >come on medium speed. This is the relay that is supposed to be energized >by the AC system to turn the rad fan on. Evidently here is no signal >voltage going to the relay. If I mist the front of the running van with a >hose for a few seconds, the AC is as cool as a cucumber...so I suspect >everything is working as it should otherwise. > >2. The AC third speed doesn't work, and never has. The switch has been >replaced, but control of the 3rd and fourth speed are managed at the rear >of the van as far as I can tell. > >So before I start digging, any ideas/insight here? It would be nice if it >was something simple like one of the relays behind the closet. > >I've just picked up a new CS130 alternator ( >http://www.alternatorparts.com/cs130_&_cs130d_alt.htm ) that I'm using in >place of the bosch unit on the I4 setup. The GM is smaller, fits like a >charm using the VW pulley, and fits easily under the deck lid. This brings >to a close my starter and alternator issues that stemmed from a retired >rebuilder that evidently sold me crap right before he pulled the pin. The >second rebulider took 4 tries to get the starter rebuilt correctly. I've >learned my lesson and replaced the CS130 with a brand new unit...for a >paltry $145 CAN. From what I can see the new unit has all the updated >parts in it (early ones had reliability issues) so hopefully we're good to >go.

The Westy finally got a working over by "Rus" a wizard at troubleshooting. The AC third speed works now, the condenser fan fires up with the AC, and I've finally got cold 134a. A ground wire was pulled loose in the closet AC relay rack, the primary AC relay was toast, and the AC fan resistor block was replaced. With the rear axles, brakes and bearings replaced during the engine conversion two years ago, Old Bess got new front bearings/brakes/rotors during this session.

As unbelievable as it sounds, after something like 7 years, all of the previous owner issues are resolved, the engine conversion continues to run flawlessly, and issues caused by poorly rebuilt alternator and starter have been resolved.

I'm almost scared to say this...but the Westy is now 100% mechanically, electrically, and emotionally sound :-) I'm also completely qualified as a wierdo for doing all this work to a 16 year old bread box. (http://my.tbaytel.net/guskers/vanagon.html)