Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:54:22 -0700
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Finally, I spotted a Westy in my own driveway.

And it’s a beauty! An ’87 GL full camper in charcoal grey with grey interior, it’s a van I’ve been seeing in town for a few years and which I have long admired. I never spoke with the owner or left a note, but while on the way to do some errand last Sunday I saw it parked on a main thoroughfare with a For Sale sign in the kitchen window. I bounced in my seat and said, “She’s selling it,” and swooped to the curb for a look.

For a van in such good shape and so obviously well cared for, it seemed unlikely that I’d be the first person to call about it, but I was. The initial inspection showed a van in great condition with a spotless interior, no dents or scrapes, no rust and no leaks. A test drive, my first ride in a Vanagon, revealed smooth but leisurely 4-speed performance that will require a change in my approach to driving, but I’ll adjust.

It’s not perfect; the A/C needs to be charged, the canvas has a couple of worn spots, and the hatch struts require broomstick assistance, but there are some thoughtful mods like the closet door mod to clear the rear table, and the like. The pre-buy inspection revealed green coolant instead of blue, and there’s an intermittent no-start issue that will require further diagnosis, but overall I don’t think there’s a better van out there for the money; certainly not for a van that moved from across town to within 3 blocks of my house before going on sale. It came to find me. How could I not buy it?

The seller has owned it since ’92 and she bought it with 23K miles. The odometer is broken but her meticulous records in a spiral-bound “life book” document every fill up, every repair, probably every strange noise. The sale includes a Bentley manual and every record since new, and the van has all screens and even the Munchkin ice cube trays. My wife, who has been a witness to the development of this Vanagon fascination for the last few years, is even beginning to be interested in it herself, planning what supplies and accoutrements will fit where.

At this point I’d like to thank everyone on this list for all the wisdom you’ve shared, which has permitted me to know what to look for and make what I’m sure is a good choice on my first Vanagon purchase. I’m sure I’ll have plenty more questions as the miles and days of Westy ownership accumulate. We’ll see you out there.

Stephen & Karen