Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Aug 2006 05:42:28 -0500
From:         Marion Lathem <resiolute@COPPER.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1985 Vanagon GL

I know your right to some extent, but I had tried to isolate to just a few basic hoses to just get it to fire and run a bit. I will just take time and set it all back up like it is in the Bentley. I am figuring I need to pull the left head off to fix that water leak. I used the old gaskets, thinking the black silicone would seal them. The passenger side so far is doing ok.

I kinda live in a never never land here, Volkswagens are just never seen. Dallas is about 50 miles. My son picks up the parts I need when he's at work. He drives a freight city haul truck, and his school is right by Vee Dubbs, so that works out pretty well.

I have been fixing it up on a shoe string budget as well.

When I had the crankcase apart, I just know there was no oil seal by the oil slinger ring. Course the VW engines were really new to me, I figured the oil slinger ring kept it from leaking. That's why I think it's so important to get the crankshaft pulley off to check it. I also have to put the cross over pipe back on the bottom of the water pump. It was also leaking. I made a flange gasket for it out of gasket material, but could not tighten it up enough to stop the flow...it was no drip...it was a flood. It looked like the flange was bowed, but once it was off, I could see, that wasn't the case. So I have been putting black form-a-gasket RTV sealant on it and letting it harden, before putting it back on, since the paper gasket did so poorly.

I know the ignition switch will have to be replaced as well, it will not turn into the spring section to engage the starter, I'm using a wire around to the starter solenoid. I knew the previous owners had really done a lot of serious screwed up things to it, I saw jumper wires on the floor mat on the drivers side...a bolt in the water pump was new, and, screwed in until it was tight, yet when I had the engine out, I could see it lacked a quarter inch being in far enough, far from being tight. I just fell in love with the thing over a year ago, and watched it all this time. Love is truly blind, I didn't see the vacuum hoses off, or the wiring harness in such poor shape. The spark timing is broken off the firewall... I broke it off while putting the plugs together to use a timing light on it. I am afraid it's just worn out. I might be ahead to go back with points, and a carburetor... I think that would solve a lot of problems if I could find the parts. Thanks Again, Lyle 85 Vanagon GL Quinlan, Texas Never heard it run, but I'm tryin'