Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:53:39 -0500
From:         Marion Lathem <resiolute@COPPER.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1985 Vanagon GL

Roger, Yes, it will stop firing, and I pulled the muffler off a bit ago and it had fired enough to black the shinny new metal gaskets. The intake gets warm. I have tried it 180 degrees out, I have tried every single hole in the distributor, even 180 degrees out for them. I have the time correct now, timing light shows it is. Still just popping, new plugs, distrub cap. new wires.

I have worked all afternoon trying to get the Crankshaft pulley bolt to come loose. I built the device in the Bentley and still no dice. I think I have figured out what's happened. You guys can laugh on this one, but if you have never lived around the south, you probably won't understand. I think what somebody has done, they bought it, after the dirt dobbers got let in the cylinders. They could not fix it, as it shows evidence of new plugs, wires and other parts, jumper wires in the front driver floor...! It's pretty common in this part of the world, if you can't fix it, fix it where nobody else can either.!

I believe they pulled the crankshaft pulley seal out, and torqued the crap out of the bolt.. in excess of 400 ft. pounds or more. There is no telling what else has been done to it... if you recall there is no oil sender wire, anywhere to be found..?

My problem is now, how do I get that bolt loose. I wonder at what point the head snaps off the bolt..? If you thought it strange I was wondering if all or most of the upper electronics is bad, when the electronic ignition is very simple... ? This is the reason, as several people have bought the van and brought it back, probably sold it at a loss. I bought it at a salvage yard.

Any engines out there...I'm beginning to wonder. The fellow I place sit for, his mechanic a big fellow stout as a bull elephant, cannot get it to break lose either../ Thanks Lyle Lathem 1985 Vanagon GL