Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:13:27 -0400
From:         Michael Edwards <medwards1@TRIAD.RR.COM>
Subject:      Fuel filter

I posed this question a while back and the responses were similar. Seems we have a bit of a dilemma. As our vehicles approach 20+ years the threat of rust and crud in the pump increases while a pre-pump filter can create the aforementioned restriction issue. I'm wondering if the restriction issue is only a problem once the filter starts to clog. If so, seems you could have the best of both worlds by changing it frequently. I guess the question is at what interval and how do you know when it needs to be changed before you encounter running problems? Assuming the condition of all tanks and the amount of contaminants varies from van to van. But I guess for $5 for a square filter you could order a stash and keep them on hand without too much expense. Seems like cheap insurance for the expensive pump and round filter. Mike ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- " .....The small filter before the pump has the disadvantage of being a restriction on the suction side of the pump increasing the chance of vaporizing the fuel before the pump and causing various running problems. Except for the in tank screens, most cars these days do not have filters on the pump inlets." . "Aging, rusting gas tanks were apparently not considered (that's a post-warrantee problem :-)".