Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:51:39 -0700
From:         Gary Bawden <goldfieldgary@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      '85 with geysering coolant

Greetings fellow Vanagonauts,

Hector, my '85 GL with a 1.9, has sprung a leak. The problem is, I can't find the part on the diagram in the Bentley manual (page 19.8). It shows the expansion tank, but the hoses are different - - instead of two T-hoses with a short piece of pipe (?) between the two T's (just to the right of the expansion tank, where the two hoses connect to said tank), mine has two short hoses, with an 'H' shaped plastic piece between them, with a little flange on the bottom of the H. Anyway, not to be too wordy, the crosspiece of the plastic H has developed a crack, out through which the pale blue geyser erupts! Checking Bus Depot, I couldn't find that piece, so am not sure what I need to order. In the meantime, I'm giving that new silicone tape a try; it's supposed to cure together and solve all manner of ills (I'll post an update on how it works out).

So what I'd like to know is: Does this piece have a part number? Is it available? And in the event it isn't, can I just braze together some copper T's and put it in, or does that little flange signify some inner parts not easily duplicated? At any rate, I guess I'll take an extra 5 gallons or so of coolant water with me for next weekend's planned trip - - really hope the new-fangled silicone tape works for a while!

Thanks in advance!

Gary