Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:54:10 -0700
From:         mad madeline <mac10wv@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Brakes and Adding Alcohol

We purchased a great '87 Westie with 90k miles from the estate of an elder man. We've gone through all systems now except the brakes... the next project. We have all the original repair receipts form both original owner and this man the second owner... and a detailed journal the man kept on gas fill-ups, mileage, and repairs. He was an extremely detailed engineer who actually worked until his company asked him to retire at 72... and then he worked for them as a consultant! Great history here. The van engine is really smooth and strong. The braking however, isn't up to par with previous westies we've owned. He used an all around mechanic for years in a small town.

Brake question: The first work receipt for the front disc brakes was at 40k miles by the first owner. His notes and receipts indicate the front and rear brakes were checked at 79K, but only the rear drums and shoes were replaced - which means to me that the rear brakes lasted about 40k miles, and the front brakes have about 50k on them. I've never had front brakes last more than 20-25k!! There are no sounds to make us think the brakes are bad... it just takes a lot of pedal push to stop. And it feels like only the rear brakes are working.

Is it possible for the front disc brakes to not be working on a vanagon? We're going to pull the wheels and check it out, but we're wondering if we should be looking beyond just the pads for clues.

Adding denatured alcohol IN 2002 this guy in his notes indicates he began adding denatured alcohol to his gas three consecutive times over less than 1,000 miles.. About a quart to a fill-up. Any idea what that was about?

Mad Madeline