Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Aug 2006 15:39:14 -0600
From:         Patrice Belzer <prb@MAIL.TELEVAR.COM>
Subject:      mileage down after fuel hose change

Hello, I've been peeking at y'alls messages for awhile, but as I don't drive the van much these days I haven't had issues. Until I went to take the van to get her spring oil change a couple months ago and found the fuel lines were leaking in three places!

I made it 20 miles down the mountain to town and the repair place without an engine fire, but they were leaking right over the distributor cap. Arg. Phew! and all that....

I had just had them all replaced a few years ago, too, after reading the recommendations on this list. This time I got the more expensive pressure rated hose instead of the OEM I used last time. AND the rounded-edged clamps (as the leaks were at the clamp line).

Then my mechanic (a good guy, but not VW specific) recommended he move the junction of hoses away from the distributor cap in case a leak happemed again. Looked reasonable to me-- no reason it HAD to be there, as long as we were cutting all new hose lengths....

So, everything seemed groovy until I drove a few times and filled the gas tank. The first time I thought that the extra gas was because I had leaked so much; but now, after few hundred mile trip, I see I am down from 19-20mpg to about 12. Creepers, with fuel prices what they are that's not ok! (Also, in a rural area like this that sort of mileage will mean I have to carry gas cans to get to my next gas station!)

I am 'flying blind' on the instrument panel-- hasn't worked in years, so don't ask if my oxygen sensor light comes on-- it does not, along with the tach and the heat guage, etc. But I'm thinking maybe the oxy sensor is a culprit?

Other thoughts? Is this coincidence or did my mechanic knock into something when the hoses got changed or when the fuel leak happened?

--Patrice and "Vana Blue" 85GL 1.9L manual

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at mail.televar.com