Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:52:24 -0400
From:         David Milo <dellaone@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      1982 Air-Cooled Ex-Westy, for what it's worth...

Tomorrow, the local foreign junkyard folks will come to flat-bed the 1982 air-cooled Westy I bought as a donor for my Westfalia conversion from my garage to it's final resting place. John Wagner and Sons, Route 19 N, located just north of Middle Lancaster PA, 16501, PH 724-368-8831.

I bought this very rusty east coast Vanagon expressly to harvest the Westy specific parts. Mileage is @ 12X,XXX, because the numbers to the right in the speedo change if you rap on the pod cover. The van was not running when I bought it due to the PO removing the gas tank to fix the tank vents, and to gain access to the rusted out clutch hydraulic line, which he was not able to repair. He said it ran fine, but I have no clue as to what condition the engine was really in. He bought it in June of 2005, the clutch line blew in February 2006. I bought it in April 2006.

What remains of the rolling chassis is: 2.0L air-cooled engine. Appears to be original, judging from the caked on oil grundge. John Muir would not approve. All of the tin is there. 4 speed tranny and axle shafts, same grundge. All suspension parts (wheels, control arms, uprights etc.) including manual steering rack and original larger steering wheel (brown). The above parts are as originally installed, I didn't touch them. Front to rear air conditioner ducts, side panel covers, evaporator, blower motor, relays, wiring and hoses from the rear load deck up for a 1987 Syncro AC system. Rear housing rear edge is badly cracked at the attachment holes. Middle forward facing seat and rear "Z" style seat, blue from 1987 Syncro, actually in very good condition. Front Westy seats, sans swivel bases, brown Westy style. Metal engine cover. Westy style sliding windows, left and right (no screens). Front door glass. Right front door is good, left has had rust repair. Rear hatch and glass. Entire 1987 Syncro roof skin, (blue), temporarily attached with 4 pop rivets. Other miscellania.

Windshield is junk. Sliding door would need major restorative surgery (lower front corner rusted severely and missing rear handle).

Its much easier for me to simply give this away to the junkyard, as I am not in the parts business. If someone on the east coast is looking for air-cooled stuff, call the number above.

Thanks,

Dave Milo