Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Aug 2006 00:32:48 -0400
From:         neil <goofymuso@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Was: Debris on oil strainer mesh Now: glad I had a look! (longish)

Thanks for tips people. Will hunt for supplier and/or take time to make better gaskets for next oil change. But.....

Glad I had a look around the engine compartment. Because......

I noticed that the plastic "hose" (can't find name in Bently right now) connecting the blower to the heater exchange pipes wasn't postitioned very well. In fact it was basically disconnected from the blower. Someone obviously lost the screw which connected the two pieces.(which I found below fan belt. Thanks archives for prompting me to buy a flexible retriever magnet) Since they had lost it, they put a smaller screw in to connect pieces, BUT they inadvertantly shortened the whole "shebang" by 1/2" and crammed the smaller screw into fresh plastic. This only aided in pulling the plastic hose away from the outlet of the fan! Ack! Ended up making a tube out of sheet metal to help the plastic hose connect to metal pipe on passenger side as the plastic "hose" had pieces broken off/was a bit malformed after it had either flailed around rubbing on stuff or just simply got too hot. My new work may help keep the engine cooler. Regardless, it was sloppy work done by someone.

My point; it pays to have a look around.

Cheers,

Neil Nicholson. 1981 air cooled Westfalia. Cheap-o web site:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/tubanick/welcomewesty.html