Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:49:06 +0000
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: 86 2.1 L clunking noise under load
Comments: To: Mark hersh <markhersh@MSN.COM>

Engine main bearings do not knock when they are worn or failing. The noise is more of a groan that is load and speed Dependant. Failed main bearings will always be accompanied by oil pressure problems. Bad mains can go for a long time. Defective rod bearings can do knock or make rubbing or other weird sounds. These sounds can be effected by load and speed. In the early stages, the warning sounds are apparent under light load or deceleration. Rod bearing failures are catastrophic. You need to determine of the sound is really from the engine. Exhaust brackets, pipes hitting, loose torque converter bolts can all cause noises. So can bad CV joints.

Having to add ATF during a trip can be a sign of a loose torque converter. Is there leakage? Avoid the temptation ot overfill the engine or AT. Overfilling the crankcase is an easy way to cause all sorts of engine problems. The top mark is not the full mark. The top mark is maximum do not exceed no matter what mark! Overfilling causes increased oil temps and lower oil pressure along with excessive oil into the catalyst.

As for the cooling system, normal gauge readings are not prof of proper operation. If the system can not maintain pressure it is not cooling properly. What is leaking?

Dennis

----- Original Message ----- From: Mark hersh Date: Thursday, August 24, 2006 1:07 am Subject: 86 2.1 L clunking noise under load To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM