Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:46:33 -0500
From:         Jamie Foust <foust@CECLAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: leak down verdict
Comments: To: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@comcast.net>

Thanks for the info. How can I tell if my AMC heads are 1.9l or 2.1l?

If you are happy with compression and you are not experiencing oil use I would leave the rings along. I never pull the cylinders if I can help it and never replace the bottom o-rings on the cylinders either. I would pull the heads. If they are cracked then replace them with new AMC heads. If not then take them to a machine shop and have them tested and a valve job done. I just took off a pair of AMC heads with around 80k on them. They were still in excellent condition with no pitting! I paid $100 to have them cleaned up and inspected at the machine shop with a valve job. Machine shop guy said the exhaust valve seats were a little warped but he fixed that. Valves were still in good shape with no sign of the fabled valve problem that some vendors sware AMC heads have (or have had in the past). Of course these same vendors are quick to offer higher priced heads with their own "special" valves in them. I'm still trying to figure out how removing one Italian made valve and putting in another makes any difference except to jack up the price of the heads.

We have the new AMC heads for $395 each. The 1.9l heads are NLA. You can replace them with new 2.1l heads but do so only in pairs. I have done this several times with no noticeable power loss, etc.

Hope this helps, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com http://www.eurovan.org http://www.vwcabrio.org Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242