Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:19:35 -0400
From:         "Warner, Jeffrey (Jeff) S (J6C)" <Jeff.Warner@DLA.MIL>
Subject:      Small Trailer Solution

Volks,

Since there had been a fair amount of talk lately regarding trailers, wiring and hitches, I thought I would share my solution. I needed a small trailer to take our dirt bikes out to the national forest where we can camp for free at the trail heads. Here's what I ended up with:

VW factory aftermarket hitch - Bought it several years ago on ebay. Bolts up between the two bumper supports. Requires a notch be cut out of the bottom of the bumper which it just so happens had already been done to my replacement bumper. First two bolt holes are already in the bumper supports. Two additional holes need to be drilled for the back two bolts. Maximum capacity 1500 pounds. New 1 7/8" ball. Very nice neat install.

Harbor Freight 4'X 8' fold-up and tilting trailer, #90154 - Purchased on sale for $239. Even though it wasn't on sale at our local store, they price matched their internet price. Comes complete with everything but the tags and the plywood decking. The folding feature is very nice (although you have to get underneath it and remove 4 bolts to facilitate the folding) and the construction seems quite sound. This model has 12" tires. There are several different models/sizes to choose from. Took the better part of a day to build. The tilting feature is great for loading the bikes. Capacity is 1175 pounds and it weighs 287 pounds.

(http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90154)

Hopkins Towing Solutions 4 wire flat #48215 - Purchased at Autozone for around $6. This is the 4 wire harness required for the van to connect to the trailer. I ran it through the license plate door behind the coolant jugs over to the left taillight area. When not in use it stashes nicely behind the license plate.

Hopkins Towing Solutions Taillight Converter #48845 - Purchased at Autozone for around $10. This provides the conversion from a split turn signal/brake light system like on our vans to a shared 4 wire system like the trailer has. Mounted the converter on the metal flange behind the taillight and did all the wiring at that location. On my '86 Westy, the right turn signal wire was green with a black stripe and is accessible behind the left taillight. I used wire taps for all the van harness connections and butt connectors for the converter to 4-wire connector connections. Used shrink tubing and electrical tape to cover everything back up as appropriate. This converter requires no additional 12v connections. It has 5 connections going in for Ground, Brake, Taillights, Left turn and Right Turn and the 4 common 4-wire leads going out for Ground, Taillights, Left Turn/Brake, Right turn/Brake. Works just fine. Lights are nice and bright.

With the bikes loaded the total trailer weight is a little under 700 pounds. The balance worked out so nice that I can easily move the trailer around with one hand even up the slight grade of my driveway. As for on the road performance, it was much better that I could have hoped for. I took it down the road to where there is a somewhat steep long hill. From a dead stop at the bottom of the hill I had no issues at all. I could hardly even tell it was back there. I was even able to downshift with effect (automatic). Overall, I couldn't be more pleased. Now to plan for that camping/trail riding weekend.