Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:21:26 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Strange no start problem - still having issues
Comments: To: Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>

Zoran, I wonder if you are working with the right relay. The fuel pump relay is the one with the fewest wires going to it and the fuel pump should run constantly with the relay socket jumped between pins 30 and 87. If this is true, you have the right relay.

If so, you should make a set of extension wires for the relay. 4 wires, with a male spade on one end and female spade on the other end of each. 3 or 4 inches for each wire is all you need for 3 of the wires. Make the other at least 12 inches long. Then plug the female ends onto the relay and put the male ends in the relay socket, using the longer one for pin 85. Be very careful since one relay socket hole is ALWAYS live and there is no fuse for any of the fuel injection wiring!

With these extension wires you can measure the voltage on each leg and see if the ECU is providing the pseudo ground on pin 85. You can test the system by removing the extension wire from pin 85 of the relay socket, but leave it plugged into pin 85 of the relay. Then with the longer wire's male end touching bare metal on the body, you can manually ground pin 85 of the relay while the other 3 extensions are still in place. With the key off, nothing should happen. With the key on, the relay should click and the fuel pump should run each time you touch the male end to bare metal.

Let us know what happens.

Mark