Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:59:32 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What are symptoms of a bad auxillary air regulator
Comments: To: roger sisler <rogersisler2000@yahoo.com>

If the aux air regulator is stuck closed, it will present these symptoms with a cold engine. BTDT.

When cold, it should be open. The bi-metal is heated by 12V (and ambient engine room temp) and SLOWLY closes the opening until the engine is warmed up. Similar to an electric choke operation except a choke opens up and the aux air reg closes.

Now finding a new one's a bitch right now. Bosch hasn't discontinued it, but they are sure slow in re-supplying main warehouse in Atlanta. Time to find a good used one. They're the same on 75-79 Type 2, 80-83.5 Air Cooled Vanagons and the venerable 83.5-85 Wasser. -- Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com ********************************** On 8/24/06, roger sisler <rogersisler2000@yahoo.com> wrote: > > Well,the continuing problems with the digijet fi system has brought me to > ask about this item. I have stalling at cold engine. When it is very well > warmed up,it will idle ok.Bad gas mileage and getting worse. Could this be > a bad fuel regulator? What are the symptoms of a bad fuel regulator? > Seems to get a lack of fuel enrichment when cold. I get unburnt fuel smell > when warm.like the fuel enrichment is happening when warm,instead of when > cold. This is 1.9 WBX. Any ideas? I have gone through the Bentley page on > fi diagnosis. All is well,except fuel enrichment.I cannot get the engine > to idle ,to get a reading.I swapped the ECU out,but still > nothing.Thanks.Roger