Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:06:35 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Not overheating, but maybe not "right"...opinions sought...
Comments: To: David Bohannan <fjazzbass@GMAIL.COM>

If the engine is over cooling on the highway, you problem is a lazy or defective thermostat. I would go with that first. If you can over cool in hot weather, most likely the radiator is OK.

Dennis

To those that would like to share their opinion....

I am planning on changing out my radiator and some coolant hoses in the near future because I want to head off any potential problems in the future...

The question I have is, however, about running temps as recorded on the gauge...in other words, should my current running conditions necessitate escalating priority of this project...

When cruising on the highway, the needle comes into the BOTTOM (read cool side) of the gauge at 90 degree heat running at about 60-70 mph with AC on.

When cruising round town, slower speeds the needle sometimes crawls above the led (read hot side). Again, this is with AC blowing full blast. After this condition, round town, moving (after it has gone up into the higher end of the led) the lowest it will cycle down to is about mid led and then go up and down around there...

High speed fan hasn't come on in a long while I think due to lack of sitting in traffic...I haven't seen the needle get that high recently. What on earth is that high speed fan for? AC on, idling in traffic? Does this all sound normal? Or should it not get into those higher ranges with the AC on - meaning that the low speed fan is running continuous...

The second thing that has me wondering about the condition of the innards of the radiator is some brown corrosion-like stuff floating to the top of the coolant bottle under the hatch...The coolant looks great (heads done 1.5 yrs ago) but I am starting to see what looks like some grumpies from the inside of the radiator.

When I change the radiator out I plan on changing those 20 yr old rubber hoses...and I hope I don't have to replace the plastic cooling lines, but I can't imagine how much crud they have in them from settling over the years....

Thanks for any advice. Wish I knew if PO ever changed out the radiator (prolly not)....

Dave 85 GL "Baby Bus" 85 "Goldy" -- Dave - KC9FYM http://fjazzbass.blogspot.com