Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:50:32 -0400
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Searched archives. Missing CV bolt question

I think that the CV bolts come out when they aren't properly torqued. Proper torque means they have stretched enough to generate tension that will prevent them from working loose.

The spec is 33 ft-lbs. When you are under the van working in cramped quarters, limited range of motion, etc., it is easy to think you have exerted enough force when you haven't. I was amazed at the difference the one time I got to loosen and tighten the CV bolts with the van on a lift. Easy to do with the van on the lift.

Use a torque wrench for this job always. I have communicated via pmail with a number of people who have had them come out and not one of them used a torque wrench to tighten the bolts. The one time I found mine loose was after doing it by feel and "being sure" that I had them tight enough. Luckily I checked them again not too long after the installation due to an experience with another van and cured my error before any problem developed. Have always used the torque wrench on this since then.

Not only does the torque wrench get them tight enough, but it also lessens the chance that you damage a bolt or over tighten and strip it when trying to remove it the next time.

I think it is best to use 12 star type bolts rather than Allen head. Never had a 12 star strip. If you use Allen heads ones, don't reuse them or at least don't use them more than two cycles of tightening and loosening.

A 1/4" Allen head drive can be pounded into a stripped 6mm Allen head CV bolt and get a stripped one removed. Has worked every time for me. Got this from Ben Huot's website several years ago IIRC. If you have Allen head CV bolts, this is a 'must have' tool.

Sam -- Sam Walters Baltimore, MD

89 Syncro GL, Zetec Inside 85 Westy Weekender 85 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbodiesel - to become veggie oil powered

All incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.