Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:02:44 -0400
From:         Matt Sutton <msutts@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Manual Tranny Leak- full story (condensed), with mystery

Hi folks,

I'll start with a re-cap: Out on errands a couple weeks ago, the tranny on my 4 sp 88 GL started leaking heavily. Upon inspection, I found a crack on the front cover by the lower bolts. Daryl at AA transaxle sent me a used one (along with great advice); Dennis Haynes wrote me a great procedural, and in a drizzling rain this morning I started the job.

Jack stands or no, I never liked being under the van when it's streetside. You can level the van, but you can't level the slope toward the curb, and if you don't put some scrap plywood under the downhill jack you can watch it sink into the pavement. It's discomfiting. I ended up putting the van back on its wheels and loosening all the bolts necessary, not wanting to apply any sideways force while the van was in the air.

Dennis's procedure went perfectly; that guy knows how to boil down a step-by-step better than most manuals.

Here's the mystery content, if you're into that kind of thing: The crack wasn't caused by an impact on the outside of the case, or an over-torqued case bolt, or 200k+ miles of metal fatigue. There was a short 13mm-headed bolt in there, which, for a short while anyway, had been flying around like a low caliber bullet in a brain-pan. I'm sorry for the inherent violence of the imagery, but that the only thing that comes to mind to describe the effect. Not only the initial crack could be seen, but there were multiple impacts, gouges, scrapes all over the place. When I pulled out the drain pan into the daylight, trying to find what had fallen out when I pulled the cover, the fluid looked like Goldschlager: tiny particles of brass(?) suspended throughout. Strangely, and maybe this is good news, there was little metal on the drain plug's magnet.

Where did this chewed up but clearly "VW Audi" labeled bolt come from? In a panicked call to AA Transaxle, Daryl said the only place it could come from was a bolt on the reverse shifter rod. Mine, however, was intact; I'd had functional reverse as always. In fact, this is the first time the tranny's been worked on (outside of a fluid changes), as long as I'd had the van. Perhaps in it's first 100k reverse had been lost, a new bolt fitted, and the old one left to float around for the next 100k? It's believable as a possibility, but some how hard to fathom. And with no difficulties previously, why now the sudden damage? If the bolt has been in the lower section of the case, how would it make it uphill and through the 1" hole to the front area?

To add good fortune to this confounding information: the van been test driven and is working fine. It shifts great, actually, reverse and all. I'm very lucky, and if it holds I'll be even luckier. Another reminder that these machines carry their demise with them, I guess.

Thanks everyone, for your help.

Matt Sutton Brooklyn NY 88 GL