Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Aug 2006 23:48:08 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Behr Radiators
Comments: To: Kim Springer <kimspringer@rcn.com>

I've been running a Behr radiator in Ole Putt for 2 1/2 years now. I have no heating issues, she runs pretty dang hot in the front heater core (and so does the rear heater core as well). I run the stock 87c thermostat (installed at the time of radiator replacement). I also replaced the heater valve at the same time, "just because". Note: I'd had the engine and auto tranny being done at the same time, so I figured "why not" do it to "cover the bases".

I don't remember what the original radiator was made out of. But it was sure heavier than the replacement. And the original was pretty plugged up with crud inside after almost 20 years of use. Haven't had an overheating problem since.

I think who ever warned you probably had other cooling issues, such as the stuck thermostat or bad heater valve as you mention. -- Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On 8/22/06, Kim Springer <kimspringer@rcn.com> wrote: > > Volks, > > Has anyone installed a Behr radiator as sold on ebay and having an issue > with the interior cabin heater not heating up to the normal, hot, temp? > > I am considering replacing mine and have been warned that the aluminum > Behr cools so well that the water temp doesn't get high enough to do the > interior heating properly (as hot as stock). > > I'm looking for any feedback on the issue, if anyone has had this > experience. > > Isn't the stock rad a copper or brass? Are these Behr rads South African > where they are running a 5 banger in a hotter climate? Is the 190 degrees > (or so) (thermostatically controlled) a high enough temp that this would > heat the interior the normal hot temp? Could the source have a thermostat > that is stuck wide open or a heater valve that wasn't opening completely? Am > I making any sense? > > Thanks, > > Kim Springer > 2WD '89 Tristar White.