Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:11:35 -0700
From:         Steve Coseo <roadcamp@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Supercharged Westy Vanagon
Comments: To: Bostig Eng <syncrolist@bostig.com>

Just an FYI I recently had to put in a weddle 1.18 third into my SVX syncro as I sheered the sucker clean on an upshift from second. Tranny had been rebuilt about 15k ago. My 4th was already a Weddle .77.

Nothing like a big bang and shifting into 3rd and going no where to get your attention fast.

-steve

On 8/21/06, Bostig Eng <syncrolist@bostig.com> wrote: > > Hey Malcolm, > > Better than just the rpms and peaks, have a look at the chassis dyno we > have > posted in the forums on the Support & Development site (you have to > register > to see the images in the forums, or email me off list) > > http://bostig.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=39&topic=21.0 > > On your second point, this was a huge concern of ours as well. But we have > been designing our supercharger and turbo kits to not exceed the > limitations > of the existing unmodified powertrain. Few people want the extra expense > of > building their tranny at the same time as doing a conversion and then > adding > a power adder. The best you can do is take the max torque rating of the > tranny, multiply by .80 and then shoot to "fill in" as much of the area > under the line across the entire rpm band. > > Check out the dyno sheets for the stock and supercharged setups, and you > can > see what I mean about "filling in" under the line with a wide fat torque > curve. > > Yeah I understand your hesitation about being an "early patient" but the > SVX > and TDI guys have been running similar torque numbers for some time > without > trouble on unmodded transmissions. > > Jim > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Malcolm Stebbins [mailto:mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM] > Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 2:20 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Supercharged Westy Vanagon > > > Below is an update on the Zetec kit with the supercharger upgrade: > > 1) On your Bostig web page please put the RPMs for the 148 Horsepower and > the 141 ft/lb torque. > Is this at 2,000 RPMs or 4,000 RPMs ???? I'd like to know. > > 2) I sure hope that the tranny can handle this power, I'm following what > you guys are doing, but > I'm to chicken to let my van be an early patient. m > > > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > http://mail.yahoo.com >