Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Aug 2006 06:42:32 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <vwdiesels@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: GoWesty Skylight Problems

On 30 Aug 2006 at 6:46, Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM> wrote:

> In a message dated 29/08/2006 5:13:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, > LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes: > > I'm down in Guatemala right now, and I've been having problems with a > leaking skylight -- and during rainy season! Some family came down for a > visit, so I ordered a new skylight from GoWesty and had them bring it. I put it > on, replacing the weatherstripping and hardware, and it looked great. But now > it's leaking too! Anyone else had this problem? It seems like the new > weatherstripping isn't quite cutting it -- the fit to the plexiglass doesn't > seem to be snug enough. > > Any suggestions? Please reply directly to me, as I'm on the road and can't > always read through all the digests. > > > > Joshua, don't know if there is a problem with your Go Westy Skylight but > probably not. If you look at where the seal is placed and the gutter trough > around it leading off to both side of the roof you will see that the water > would have to collect there to a depth of a few inches before it would come up > over the edge, seal or no seal, highly unlikely ! So I doubt it's a seal > problem. Either the skylight is cracked or the hardware connection points are > not sealed or there is a hole, yes hole, I had a van in here a week or so ago > that someone had drilled four holes in that gutter trough around the perimeter > of the seal edge.

I just replaced my cracked skylight with a GoWesty kit lens and seal last month. I did notice that it seems like the lens is slightly larger, and therefore doesn't meet the seal as tightly all the way around. We've only had one bit of rain, but it was heavy driving rain, and no leaks. I did notice the stock seal I removed was in very good condition, and probably didn't need replacing, so I kept it just in case... I was careful to use silicone under every fastener when re-installing, as I suspect that may have been my leak source before (I was never able to pin it down). So I suspect Frank is right - you may have a leak through a fastener hole. I must say that I find the stock seal to be a nicer design than the GoWesty bulb style, as the stock one looks like it would be more impervious to driving rain coming up under the lid and over the seal.

Shawn Wright http://members.shaw.ca/vwdiesels '88 Westy 1.6TD 5 speed '85 Jetta Diesel 1.6NA