Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:28:18 -0700
From:         TC <trclark@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Get GPS system ditch these Atlas was ..Re: For the Newbies -
              Vanagon secrets revealed-
Comments: To: Roger Van Till <rvantill@sbcglobal.net>

> What software are you using for Canadian travel? OK here are all the specs

$ 400 GPS receiver is the garmin Rino 530 2-way radio with GPS over the 2 way radio to other rino units (great if your hiking partner get err lost on occasion) http://www.garmin.com/products/rino530/ (I thought this would be neat so I can dual purpose the gps receiver since I wanted the 2 way radios any ways & you use portions of the Map in the limited flash memory of the rino but after using it now I think I would just go with a usb GPS recieiver & leave it wired to the van and connect the laptop when on the road) $350 LapTop is a 2Ghz IBM T30 Think Pad Off ebay

On demo :) Software is Garmin Map Source, with Nroute add-on for routing http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/ MetroGuide canada v4 Topo Canada V2 The er S/W is err ehem how do i say an experimental torrent on err piratebay ...

The Garmin S/W leaves a lot to be desired in terms of UI features I would like but functional it sure did the job of getting from point A to B in darkness or light

The database of features for banks, fuel stops, food stops, parks etc is woefully inadequate.

The street database is amazing I still dont see how they know about those tractor paths in south Sask...