Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Aug 2006 07:03:05 -0700
From:         Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Radiator removal
Comments: To: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

Ken, I'm glad you mentioned that the needle barely gets to the 1/2 way mark. My temp needle barely gets out of the white, except for one or two occasions in the last three years where it got to half. I'd always assumed that the gauge was reading incorrectly, even after the sensor had been replaced. Maybe it is reading correctly and I have a very cool running van. The only time it budges much past the white is when I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day. Strangely enough I can be in traffic on a hot day and the needle stays on the edge of the white. Again must be a lower temp thermostat and very efficient coolng system. Is there an easy way to tell if I have an aluminum radiator by looking at it? Not that I'm looking for trouble, but in the Florida heat and humidity I don't want to take any chances on overheating and want to know the system well. Anthony '89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo)

Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> wrote: I just replaced one on an 86 Westy. The old one was a replacement copper core one (so I am pretty sure it was not original). Before the swap the van would get hotter, and hotter, and hotter until it would boil (very slowly). New Aluminum one and it will not even go all the way up to 1/2 on the gauge. Runs super cool. Put in a new fan switch (grey one) and when it gets up to half the fan comes on and takes it back down to below half. I believe it must have an 80 C degree thermostat since that is where it is running now.

The crazy thing is that the the old copper core radiator (which said made in Germany on the bottom) looked in good condition. It was not noticeably much heavier than the copper (didn't weigh them) and I didn't see the normal mud looking substance inside. There was a thin film of slime inside the radiator that I could feel with my fingers.

The van was running fine temperature-wise until the radiator fan debacle (see last month's post about this) and the van threw the water pump belt while going down the highway. Not sure how this effected the radiator but perhaps it let the coolant get so hot that it liquified sludge in the coolant system and then pumped this up to the radiator. I have no idea.

PS Yhe van even seems to have more power now. I have now idea how this could be. Maybe I am just insane!

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com http://www.eurovan.org http://www.vwcabrio.org Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242