Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Aug 2006 08:50:25 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Get GPS system ditch these Atlas was ..Re: For the Newbies -
              Vanago

RE: Laptops in the daylight Jim makes a very good point on this issue of visibility and Frank commented on the moose he didn't see trying to see the laptop screen in the daylight (hope that was a joke Frank). That's the primary reason I have looked at the dedicated GPS units to go on the dash but found the map data outside of the cities pretty mediocre. Even if I had a good stand for the laptop it would still be off to one side and require looking way away from the road to see any good info. The voice prompts can be hard to hear above the road and vehicle noise. And as for good directions, yes, within limits. Example: I decided to, as a test, to try to relie on the GPS (Delorme software and receiver on the laptop) to get me to a friends place in Kennsington, Ca.. Kennsington is a small city that abuts Berkley. On the hillside, narrow winding short streets, lots of trees, lots of traffic and stop signs. The GPS totally failed, only got there when I recognized a couple of streets (I'd been there several years before). Several problems contributed. First, loss of signal running under trees. This would cause the GPS to fail to provide directions in time to turn. Second, when stopped in traffic or at a stop light or sign, the GPS would loose track of what direction I was headed because I wasn't moving. Then the next direction to turn might be behind me instead of in front. The ability of the software to try to get me back on the original track worked but led to a long and confusing attempt to turn me onto streets that I'd already past or were a couple of blocks away. I looked at the track of where I'd been when I finally got to my destination and it was good for a laugh. BTW, when I went to leave, I set the GPS up using Street & Trips instead of the Delorme software and it was little better but not much because of the constant signal drop out. Several years before, when driving to the same location, I had printed out directions from Streets & Trips (no GPS receiver at that time) and followed those printed instructions right to the door without problem. Summing up, the GPS/laptop solution is great but has some severe limitations. Be aware of those limitations, it's not an autopilot.