Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:51:19 -0400
From:         David Bohannan <fjazzbass@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Get GPS system ditch these Atlas was ..Re: For the Newbies -
              Vanago
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@gmail.com>

I'll second the whole "real stuff" sentiment.

I have a GPS, we've used it with my computer for long trips and its great when we have internet access hooked up while driving...we can see exactly what;s local...

However, you can do the same with a current "Next Exit" guide and a current road atlas.

I dunno about anyone else out there, but between my:

ipod, Lyra, PSP, several laptops, GPS, cell phone(s), blue tooth headset

I am getting pretty sick of being slave to all of these stupid appliances and their rechargeable batteries, etc...

As a side note...all those gadgets and gizmos in newer cars these days...My kids the other day were telling me of how one of their friends had a remote control in the back of their minivan to control the radio... one of the children from this same family saw my hand crank for the window and said "WHAT'S THAT!?!?!?"

The more technology we have in transportation, the more I like my bike.... (ok yeah it has lights with rechargeable batteries and a GPS mount on it....AAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!!!!!!)

Dave

On 8/31/06, Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@gmail.com> wrote: > > I,ve never used GPS before - so I'm at a complete loss. My only thought is > that is sounds like a great tool but to me there is nothing like holding a > map or atlas in your hands - it's sort of like the difference between a > real > book and an e-book - same information but not the same. I love technology > and all that it can do for us but some things I think are just fine the > way > they are. > > Electronic toys are fun though.... > > > On 8/31/06, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > RE: Laptops in the daylight > > Jim makes a very good point on this issue of visibility and Frank > > commented > > on the moose he didn't see trying to see the laptop screen in the > daylight > > (hope that was a joke Frank). That's the primary reason I have looked > at > > the dedicated GPS units to go on the dash but found the map data outside > > of > > the cities pretty mediocre. Even if I had a good stand for the laptop > it > > would still be off to one side and require looking way away from the > road > > to > > see any good info. The voice prompts can be hard to hear above the road > > and > > vehicle noise. > > And as for good directions, yes, within limits. Example: I decided to, > > as > > a test, to try to relie on the GPS (Delorme software and receiver on the > > laptop) to get me to a friends place in Kennsington, Ca.. Kennsington > is > > a > > small city that abuts Berkley. On the hillside, narrow winding short > > streets, lots of trees, lots of traffic and stop signs. The GPS totally > > failed, only got there when I recognized a couple of streets (I'd been > > there > > several years before). Several problems contributed. First, loss of > > signal > > running under trees. This would cause the GPS to fail to provide > > directions > > in time to turn. Second, when stopped in traffic or at a stop light or > > sign, the GPS would loose track of what direction I was headed because I > > wasn't moving. Then the next direction to turn might be behind me > instead > > of in front. The ability of the software to try to get me back on the > > original track worked but led to a long and confusing attempt to turn me > > onto streets that I'd already past or were a couple of blocks away. I > > looked at the track of where I'd been when I finally got to my > destination > > and it was good for a laugh. > > BTW, when I went to leave, I set the GPS up using Street & Trips instead > > of > > the Delorme software and it was little better but not much because of > the > > constant signal drop out. > > Several years before, when driving to the same location, I had printed > out > > directions from Streets & Trips (no GPS receiver at that time) and > > followed > > those printed instructions right to the door without problem. > > Summing up, the GPS/laptop solution is great but has some severe > > limitations. Be aware of those limitations, it's not an autopilot. > > > > > > -- > Thanks, > > Jeff > 86' > 85' GL (sidelined and donating organs to the 86') >

-- Dave - KC9FYM http://fjazzbass.blogspot.com