Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:11:12 -0700
From:         TC <trclark@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Get GPS system ditch these Atlas was ..Re: For the Newbies -
              Vanago

> RE: Laptops in the daylight > Even if I had a good stand for the laptop it > would still be off to one side and require looking way away from the road to > see any good info. Well once you have routed to your location most of the s/w i have seen displays a large font (20pt) with the next driving directions & will auto change background colors depending on time of day maybe the IBMTinkPad just has very good LCD but as long as the laptop was below dash level I never had an issue readin the next direction prompt >The voice prompts can be hard to hear above the road and vehicle noise. that why you have the headphone jack on the laptop :) or what i did was to take another male-male jack & plug the lap top right into the van sound system (this make for great dvd viewing as well :) on the garmin nroute the nice lady comes at 500M to the turn & starts counting down every 100M and when I mess up she says uturn, then she gives up on the uturn & routes me on the next best pattern to get me back on track

... >but not much because of the constant signal drop out.

I wonder if the GPS receiver your using is a major issue with the rino 530 the only time I recall the gps receiver did not getting satellite was under a tunnel/bridge, or when hiking under realy thick tree canopy, but when mounted with a RAM mount http://www.ram-mount.com up on the dash I'd have to say recepetion on that X-Canada trip was excellent even in the remote farming rural areas of SK, AB & PQ ...

does you GPS support WASS

And living in BC I am slowly keying all the BC Forestry Services Sites as waypoints from the GPS coordinates on the BCFS site http://aardvark.gov.bc.ca/apps/recst/ it a bit painfull because you have to drill down on each site then select the 'I' tool and they it give the GPS location Coordinate Position UTM 10N: 300830, 5549923 BC Albers: 1015518, 561392 Geographic: 50° 4' 5" N, 125° 47' 0" W

Recreation Sites

Recreation Site Details Rec Site #: REC6052 SiteName: Third Lake

When it is all done I can share it with others but I am still not sure what the most generic way to share GPS waypoints is anybody else have any greater experince in this area ???