Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:59:18 -0400
From:         Jason Willenbrock <pooncerelli@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '86 GL stutters, stumbles and dies intermittantly
Comments: To: vwneal@BLUEMARBLE.NET

well, it sounds like you may have already checked them but check them again, and again, and again, and again. everything you are describing sounds like bad grounds. i bet if you pulled one spark plug it is jet black from running rich, which bad grounds will do, because they mess with the computer and tell it all kinds of bad info. on your firewall on drivers side of engine where there are like a billion wires grounding to one bolt thru the fire wall, clean those REAL good. then, if you have not done so, make one or even two more grounds connections for those wires in the firewall to split them up. it is silly to have all those grounding on one bolt. then go thru EVERY single ground and clean, replace, retighten as needed. when it comes to grounds you can't be too overzealous. on vanagons bad grounds create so many problems. i even created a ground for my AFM to engine. it is easy there is about a 13mm or bolt hole in back of AFM, i used this and builkt a ground wire going from that to the engine block. CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN,. they are buggers. can't emphasize this enough. grounds are frustrating but i bet you will find this to be the source of your problem and if not, well, you still did a good thing by cleaning them up! if all else fails, see if you can borrow an ecu from someone and test that, but prolly unlikely, i think it is grounds IMHO, 02 sensor doesn't do s#$t, mine has been disconnected for 48,000 miles now and no difference in mileage, performance, emissoins or anything. good luck jason 87 syncro westy 1970 ghia coupe so many roads to ease my soul...