Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:45:29 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: poptop - clean/polish?

This is what I use: http://www.flood.com/Flood/CustomerSupport/FAQ/DIY/Penetrol+FAQ.htm I put some on a terry cloth, using rubber gloves, and lightly rubbed it into the top paint, let it dry a short time and used another terry cloth to buff it off. It's still just like it was after that application spring of '05. It's great stuff, just be sure the surface you put it on is as clean as you can get it, because once you use this, whatever is on the painted surface is likely on there forever, unless you remove the paint altogether. This does a wonderful job of brightening up and keeping the top that way. I still have no signs of oxidation on my Titian Red top, which tend to oxidize a couple times a year using the usual "stuff" I've tried in the past. This works very well on the van body as well. Usually marine supply places have it as it's commonly used to restore boat fiberglass painted surfaces.

Bob Stevens '87 Westy Syncro "Passion Fruit"

On 8/28/06, karen k <yosemite333@hotmail.com> wrote: > >Any advice on products to use to clean and polish poptop without harming >the >fiberglass? Some folks have been successful with bleach but I plan on >leaving poptop on van to clean. Whatever product I use, needs to be safe >for the paint as I bet it will run down the side of the van. > >Also looks like previous owner used black sealant to hold on part of >poptop >seal. I'm going to replace seal but how do I remove old sort of glued on >sealant on the bottom edges of poptop? Can you sandpaper or will that >harm >fiberglass? >