Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Sep 2006 13:15:54 -0700
From:         Zeitgeist <gruengeist@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Who syncro-knows it all?

Hmmm, I've got a few Syncro-related questions for the more learned in our midst.

My wife is firmly convinced she needs to have an all wheel drive vehicle with decent ground clearance for her alpine-related program activities. I remain somewhat skeptical, but it's my job to humor her and "make things happen". She wants something with lots of room for people and stuff, yet it must get good fuel mileage and have the capability of running on biodiesel (not immediately, but sometime down the line). I've boiled it down to two-ish options:

- Jeep Liberty CRD [I'm not sure I want an American vehicle with an Italian engine] - Vanagon Syncro (to be converted to turbo 1.6/1.9l/TDI) or DoKa Syncro with the same engine combo.

So, how much can we expect to pay for either a Syncro Vanagon or DoKa? [There doesn't seem to be a lot of info or vehicles for sale out there, so that I can gauge prices right now]

Is it technically feasible to convert my Wolfsburg Edition 2WD over to Syncro, assuming I have a complete donor vehicle for swapping? I really like the WE model I currently have, and haven't seen too many Syncros with all the options contained therein, so I'd prefer to just convert my present rig over to first, Syncro, then diesel. Keep in mind that I'm fairly mechanically inclined, with lots of tools (mig setup & oxy/ace, etc.) and experience--e.g. years ago, I swapped a '70 balljoint frontend into my '67 splitwindow.

Has anyone done this?

TIA

-- Casey Olympia, WA Biodiesel: "I drive in a persistent vegetative state" '87 300TD intercooler #22 (218k) '84 300D (216k) Gashuffer: '89 Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition (187K) http://users.zhonka.net/zeitgeist/Misc/IMG_0171.JPG