Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Sep 2006 11:44:08 -0400
From:         Sudhir Desai <sudhir.desai@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why am I not surprised? (charging wires)
Comments: To: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@gmail.com>

What's good for the gander is good for the goose?

On 9/2/06, Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@gmail.com> wrote: > Thanks for the head's-up on that, Mike -- I'll take a gander at mine. > > (What, exactly, /is/ a "gander"?) > > -- > Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott > 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus > 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") > 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano > KG6RCR > > > > > Mike Collum wrote: > > In my '85 Westy, I opened the black box on the firewall in the engine > > compartment ... the one where the charging wires from the alternator run > > to a standoff ... and found that where the two wires from the alternator > > are crimped to a single ring connector there was corrosion and the wires > > showed evidence of overheating. > > > > The charging wires on 1.9s are too small (bigger wires were used in > > later models) so I added wire straight from the alternator to the > > starter terminal. > > > > I sometimes use a number of electrical consumers and I have installed an > > aux battery, all of which cause the alternator (and its wires) to work > > harder. > > > > It wouldn't hurt for you with 1.9s to check inside your black boxes for > > a similar problem, especially if you've added a battery. > > > > Mikel > > '84 GL 7 pass > > '85 GL Westy > > >