Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Sep 2006 14:50:48 -0400
From:         neil <goofymuso@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Debunking GoWesty!
Comments: To: Mike Rouby <mikerouby@YAHOO.COM>

--- Mike Rouby <mikerouby@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> Anyone who has read GoWesty's catalog or website, > will get to the info in this link: > > http://www.gowesty.com/campermodeloverview2.html > > According to them: > > 1) Aircooled Westfalia's are the WORST models > 2) Thank God they only sold the Diesel models for > two years > 3) Round headlight Westfalias are not recommended > for sale. > > 1) Aircooled Westfalias - According to them they > last 90k miles before requiring a rebuild. How many > here can easily claim they are wrong here. Yes they > are slow (67hp) but Wesfalias were never quick out > of the factory. What the author fails to mention is > that HP increases can be attained easily as many VW > Type 4 engine owners will testify. James Raby had > built a Type 4 in a Bug in the latest Hot VW mag > that puts out over 170hp on the engine dyno.

A friend of mine put well over 300k KM's on his 79 bus. Of course his vehicle was meticulously maintained and not heavy like Westy. AFAIK, no head work done, but for sure the motor was otherwise orig.

Though I wasn't originally going to purchase an AC Westy, I like my 81 AC. And as far as engine life, if all details of cooling system are maintained and regular oil changes with correct parts are done, it will make a HUGE difference in longevity. i.e. the rookie here just learned that the Mahle oil filter is hugely important as is the correct viscosity oil.

IMHO, if you don't mind taking your time driving, and can handle scouting out hard to find parts, these engines are just fine. Plus I like the way the round headlights look.

Cheers,

Neil Nicholson. 1981 air cooled Westfalia. Cheap-o web site:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/tubanick/welcomewesty.html