Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Sep 2006 15:18:17 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Debunking GoWesty!

http://www.gowesty.com/campermodeloverview2.html > > > > According to them: > > > > 1) Aircooled Westfalia's are the WORST > models > > 2) Thank God they only sold the Diesel > models for two years > > 3) Round headlight Westfalias are not > recommended for sale. > >

I wouldn't be too upset with these go Westy opinions.

They aren't meant to insult or belittle or cast doubt on loyal owners of these cars.

They are selling to a certain first-time buyer and there is truth in all their statements when looked at in the context they were given.

It's just Point & Shoot advice: Sell the customer the vehicle type that THEY are comfortable with.

They don't like the never -ending repair of the air-cooled,1.9, and underpowered short lived 1.6 Diesel engines, and they are trying to steer the buyer to the last revisoned Vanagon models as these are improved and worth more .

I don't work or sell the old Vanagons either , though I do make exceptions for the 1.9. Only mechanics who work on them day in and out have the tear -down and assembly order memorized. For me it been an ordeal of taking everything off all afternoon I spent all morning putting on because it all has to go in a certain order .

My first 1.9 reassembly is far more tedious than my inline -four would be. A Diesel Vanagon with a 1.6 is slow, but depending on where you live, it might be just fine. Certainly not in southern Cal.

So then, perspective comes with the territory , yet I have to agree that the 2.1 is easier to deal with, but not better than the inline four conversion IMHO.

Example: It takes on everage over three hours to replace the 2.1 waterpump. It can be done on my inline four in an hour. There all those different angles to get at the bolts .

With a Golf engine in my Vanagon for 11 years, I would have to say that it is by far the easiest of them all besides Diesel to work with.

Waterboxers have a complicated design. Go-Westy has somewhat perfected it and increased it's power, so from a marketing standpoint it makes sense to steer buyers towards the later and more valuable easier to work on models that they like.

As for the round headlights- this is just to help their buyers identify the early models they don't want to see in their shop.

I personally like the newer models, but they are all getting old and I like all of them, but I would only own a early one that was upgraded.

Which is what I did to mine in 11 years. Power steering, better springs and shocks, rear-anti-sway bar, 5-speed trans, 115 hp Golf engine.

Now if I have offended any of you , well there isn't any parking across the street here!

Have a good Labor Day weekend,

Robert

1982 Westfalia