Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Sep 2006 22:41:30 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Debunking GoWesty!

Well Put, Mike.

I drove my 1965 Bus for a year in Phoenix and never had a problem- that engine was still going strong when I sold it with 80,000 on the engine.

Then 8 years later I bought a 1964 Bus, and in the next 5 years I went thru 3 brand new engines- in the Pacific Northwest.

After that I got my 82 Diesel Westfalia with a engine compartment fire, and replaced the burnt ruined Diesel with a 91 Jetta(now a 2.0 Golf) engine.

Now my inline four is pushing a 5,000 lb camper and it has 198,000 engine miles on it. Sure, it's burning a qt of oil every 1,000- but that only costs $1.69 at NAPA or Wal-Mart.

That I got 6 full years on a Volkswagen engine is a record for me. In all of my 15 aircooled years I only had one new engine make the 80,000 mile mark. All the others failed at 60,000, 40,000, and 20,000.

I think the main problem with aircooleds is global warming. No really, it's probably the octane . They ran good on the old 100 octane.

Robert

1982 Westfalia