Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Sep 2006 10:58:34 -0500
From:         Warren Lail <vw.bus@MAC.COM>
Subject:      air-cooled vanagons are cool

My first Vanagon was an 81 air-cooled model that I drove for 12 years. During that time I replaced a head (dropped valve seat) and eventually installed an AVP rebuilt longblock. Other than the lack of heat, I never had a complaint about the air-cooled engine. It had low power, but I was used to that because I had been driving VW buses since back in the day. In fact, compared to some of the buses I drove in earlier years it had lots of power! I dealt with the poor heating for a long time, but as I got older and my road trips took me further north in the cool months, I decided that I needed heat. So I opted for a waterbox, even though many people warned me against it.

My first waterbox was "Long John" an 87 GL. Of course I had heat to warm my feet, but also engine heat I couldn't get rid of, i.e., blew a head gasket within 6 months of ownership. Then I got Billy Bones and toasted the first engine within 1500 miles of driving. Again, heat was my enemy. I purchased an AVP longblock (paid extra for the good heads), changed all coolant lines, radiator, and everything else I could imagine, and never had an overheat problem again.

Now I've installed a Subaru 2.2 engine that runs fine. However, I've not been through a winter with it, but some people have heating problems with subie conversions when the weather gets really cold. Go figure. I'll guess I'll deal with that issue in the coming months.

I guess the bottom line is this; other than cold feet in the wintertime, my 81 air-cooled was the most reliable bus I've owned (although I did have a 65 splittie that never let me down either). Air cooled engines are simple and durable. If I had one today, I would simply install a 12,000 BTU Suburban furnace and keep on truckin'. In fact, the next bus I buy will be an early (68-71) air-cooled model for dinkin' around town. I'll install a propane furnace under the rear seat and enjoy the ride.

Warren L. 88 Westy "Billy Bones" contemplating a Suburban furnace for winter camping