Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Sep 2006 18:35:38 -0700
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@QWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Debunking GoWesty!

>Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 21:22:52 -0700 >From: Mike Rouby <mikerouby@YAHOO.COM> >Subject: Re: Debunking GoWesty! > > Ironic then, that I live in Dallas, Texas and work across the street from Doug at Qualitat in Dallas (a business serving aircooled VWs since 1960s). Apparently, he thinks your assessment that air cooled engines last 90k miles is quite, shall I say, remarkable. > My "assessment" wasn't that "air cooled engines last 90k miles". Perhaps examining context as a pre-rant activity would be of value. I said:

"90K on an upright motor in a bus *here* is about all that can be expected (with case savers, sodium filled valves, external oil cooler, etc.). 90K on a 2.0L AC Westy, with the square exhaust port heads, is pretty remarkable here, though the same motor could go 200K in less harsh climates (e.g. like where GoWesty is located). Stop and go traffic in 115°F weather just kills the air cooled motors. And with A/C...."

Did you notice the "200K" in there?

Maybe Doug should put in a couple of decades here and see the results. Dallas is nothing like Phoenix, weatherwise. Dallas is warm, certainly, but also very humid (I spent last summer in Waco on a project, and was surprised how mild the summers are). High humidity is uncomfortable for the body, which relies on evaporative cooling, but very good for air cooled engines which rely on the specific heat of the cooling medium, and the mediums' heat transfer function (both of which increase significantly with higher humidity). When you're at 90% RH, we're at 15% or less. This is our monsoon season, and we're averaging about 25%.

How many times has DFW *closed* due to high temperatures?

> > Also, I took my wife to Egypt to see the pyramids last year and I could not believe how many VW buses are around bringing tourists to the sites. Am I supposed to believe that their engines last 90k miles too?? I wonder who does their rebuilds?? > Believe whatever you choose. It won't change the facts on the ground here. As I recall, I made no claims about Egypt, but merely recounted my personal experience here in the Phx desert. If you chose to interpret that as some type of anti-AC pogrom, that's your issue.

> > Maybe Phoenix is the bermuda triangle for aircooled engines, but apparently they do seem to last hot climates just fine. Case in point - My Westy originated in Albq, New Mexico. 1982 and still on it's original engine. > If you believe that Albuquerque is a case in point, then you really need to study the weather patterns a bit better. For Phx:

Average annual number of days with maximum temperatures of 100 of higher: 89

Least number of days with maximum temperatures of 100 or higher: 48 in 1913

Greatest number of days with maximum temperatures of 100 or higher: 143 in 1989

Greatest number of consecutive days with maximum temperatures of 100 or higher: 76 in 1993

Average annual number of days with maximum temperatures of 110 of higher: 10

Least number of days with maximum temperatures of 110 or higher: 0 in 1911

Greatest number of days with maximum temperatures of 110 or higher: 28 in 1979 and 2002

Greatest number of consecutive days with maximum temperatures of 110 or higher: 18 in 1974

Now, how does that compare with DFW or ABQ? Not to mention that our *lows* stay in the upper 80's to 90's during most of June, July, and August, and that low is not until just before sunrise.

> Good to see you like the square-headlights (they are more modern), but many people seem to convert to round headlights than the other way around it seems. > Well, I've obviously had both, and the round ones have always worked better. The dispersion patterns for the square lenses is pretty bad. But they do look better.

> The reality is the waterboxer is less reliable than the aircooled motor. Hence the decision of many to swap engines (eg Subaru, Tiilco, Nissan, Zetec, etc), than to rebuild that failed design. >

The question was not about reliability, but about longevity. Until a cracked injector manifold turned my '78 into a fireball, if was far more reliable than my WBX was, but the original engine was on knocking away on it's last legs when I rebuilt it at 130K The square exhaust port heads OTOH are notorious around here for dropping seats and/or sucking exhaust valves long before that. IME, the Tiico's been on par with the WBX for reliability, but hopefully (after 3.5 years) I've gotten the kinks worked out...we'll see.

Keith Hughes '86 Westy Tiico