Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Sep 2006 22:16:39 -0400
From:         David Milo <dellaone@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Refrigerator: Fup...Fup............Fup
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net>

Let me clarify,

What I am saying is, what the plate's center hole does, is fit over the exhaust pipe register in such a way as to hang on the pipe tip, unaided, before the outer exhaust shield is screwed to the body. Obviously, it needs to fit tightly enough to prevent sucking of the exhaust back through into the fresh air intake.

I guess then my question is how tightly?

I can spin the plate easily, but it is not like the spud register is corroded to the point that it would be useless. In fact, it looks pretty good.

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. I'll try to describe this better: the exhaust pipe exits the aft part of the intake / exhaust port of the fridge. The exhaust port has a reduced diameter circular lip that the separator plate central hole fits over, "registering'" the two parts. The plate should fit fairly snug, but how snug?

On 9/4/06, Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net> wrote: > > The flup sound and yellow flame indicates you are having a draft problem. > You are not getting a good supply of air. You need to make sure the baffle > plate in the vent assembly is there, and tightly fitted to the center > pipe. > Debris may have fallen into the combustion chamber after use. The pipes do > rust internally. You can try blowing the burner assembly out by using > compressed air into the drain tube. > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > David Milo > Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 10:32 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Refrigerator: Fup...Fup............Fup > > It is the eve of our first camping trip in 15 years. I have a Westy > interior > from a 1982 installed in my 1987 Syncro. > After cleaning the refrigerator combustion chamber and intake / exhaust > tubes of the fridge about a month ago, I was able to get the propane tank > serviced to full (it still had about a gallon in it from before), and > successfully got the fridge to light for the first time. I ran it > for about > two hours. It got nice and cold, no issues, and all was well. > > I ran it again tonight. After two false starts, it finally lit. About two > minutes later, it started to make a soft single "fup" or "futt" noise > (best > I can describe it); this occurs every 5 seconds or so, but not regularly, > sometimes it will go for a while, 20 seconds, without a noise. Looking at > the flame shows a little flash of yellow, but not always. > > I let it run for an hour and a half, it still got cold, and remained lit > while I drove the van around the block. > > I'm suspecting crummy propane. The only thing I didn't touch was the gas > jet. Modifying the position of the thermostat and gas valve doesn't seem > to > make any difference. It had run very nicely before with no noise, so I'm > not > suspecting the gas jet (yet). > > Any ideas? The archives were mute on this particular subject (the noise, > not > refrigerators). > > Thanks, > > Dave > >