Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Sep 2006 21:17:56 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: waterboxers in Mass./ coolant redux
Comments: To: Woody Halsey <WHalsey@SYA.ORG>

The "Phosphate Free" issue has to do with corrosion control, and in the vanagon........... avoidance of head pitting. which leads to head gasket leaks - the very bane of Vanagon owners.

For my van I run GM's Phosphate Free orange biodegradable, 5 year coolant mixed to a 50/50 ratio with distilled water. I also add a bottle of Redline Water Wetter. I change the coolant out every two years, religiously.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Woody Halsey wrote: > Dear All, > > One more round on coolant ... > > Has any one ever determined (and I remember lots of traffic on this > topic five years ago when I was tuned in to the list for a while) what > is simply the best choice for coolant for our engines? It seems clear > that color no longer necessarily indicates anything. But do we really > need "phosphate free" coolant? Do we really need to use distilled water? > What about pre-mixed, add-no-water products? > > After having been re-sensitized to the issue, I asked my mechanic to > flush and refill my system with something phosphate free. He claimed > that no one in our area, including the dealer, knew what he was talking > about. He put in "Peak Global Lifetime pre-mixed" coolant. It claims to > be good for Mercedes and other European engines. FWIW it is yellow. > > What thinks The List? > > Also what do you know/think about Zerex G-05, a product my mechanic can > get that claims to be "phosphate free?" (He had not read the flyer very > carefully before he said there was nothing like it available.) > > Woody > 83.5 V'gon > Haverhill, MA > > > PS If my neighbor's blue stuff is a) phosphate free and b) compatible > with the yellow stuff now cooling my engine, I'll swing by and pick it > up on my home from visiting my parents in Brookline some day. > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf > Of Dan Barrett > Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 3:27 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: waterboxers in Mass. > > Volks, > I no longer run blue coolant, but I have three unopened jugs of it > cluttering my apartment. If anyone in the Boston area is interested, > you're welcome to them for free. > > > Best, > d. > > 1990 GL -- "Mudskipper" > > >