Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:23:46 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Injectors, Plugs, and Performance (Long)
Comments: To: wetwesties wetwesties <Wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

Maybe because they rarely fail or give a problem, we tend to ignore the injectors in our engines. Maybe we should think about them more often. The following is why I say this. I just had an interesting experience with my '90 Westy, stock 2.1L WBX, heads by PO at 88k, now just under 125,000 on the clock. A little background. For some time I had what felt like a partial miss, if there is such a thing. On acceleration it felt like one cylinder was not quite doing it's share of the work. Firing okay, but not providing the same amount of work/push that the others were. Compression test showed all cylinders within 20% of each other, the usual criteria for thinking about a valve job. And virtually no oil consumption, half a quart in 1,000 miles. This nagging problem was best felt when on the highway. If going up a slight hill a small vibration could be felt in the steering wheel. Let off on the gas and the vibration went away. The passenger could not hear or feel it. Everything had been replaced in normal maintenance, plugs, cap, rotor, plug wires. The only thing that had not been messed with was the injectors. So I acquired a set of used injectors, had them rebuilt, and had them put in last April, just before taking off for SDM. New plugs at the same time, the Bosch quad point type, same as I had been running for four years. The Westy ran fine and I was convinced that the miss/hesitation had gone away. But one of the injectors went bad after about 150 miles. In the process of isolating the problem and fixing it the shop replaced one plug with the standard Bosch single electrode plug and a used injector they had on the bench. Ran fine, but the miss/hesitation was back. Running with three recently rebuilt injectors and miss matched plugs didn't seem to hurt anything but was intellectually disturbing. The shop that rebuilt the injectors was very apologetic and even rebuilt two more injectors for me for free. Two days ago I replaced the 'off the bench' injector with one of the rebuilt injectors (actually replaced both on that side, they were already set up on the mounting clamp) . And I replaced all the plugs so that they matched, this time with the triple electrode Bosch plugs. Well, I've driven about 50 miles now, city and freeway, and the miss is really gone!! No hint of it. This implies to me that my problem was in the injectors, one not performing like the other three. I'm leaving tonight on a three week trip, a couple of thousand miles by the time I get home. If all continues well (or if not) I'll report to the list the results. In the mean time, maybe we should pay a little more attention to having a set of injectors that are matched, all providing the same flow rate.