Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Sep 2006 17:46:57 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vacuum leak?

Well your problem has sat here ,unanswererd for almost a week.I'll take a stab at it. I am usually wrong,but the good part is that it will surely bring out the best in listees when they tell me I am wrong ,here,below.Maybe then they will take your issue up. I hope then you will have the help you need.Have a safe passage over those mountians.Wish I was there.

I think your problem may be an exhaust leak.Basically, you are good to proceed. I currently have an exhaust leak ,and your symptoms are similar.I have had exhaust leaks before without symptoms of almost any kind.Indeed,I had a leaky exhaust pipe at the #3 cylinder flange. No symptom except a tad louder exhaust,and a failed safety inspection.The po had wired a welches grape juice can to the flange for the fix.Like I say,no symptoms.

My current exhaust hole,leak,is of the pin hole variety.It is after all 4 headers come together ,and next to the oxygen sensor(1.9).It wont idle .It stalls,backfires.has real bad drivability(whats new).I took it to a shop to have the exhaust checked.I had to rev the engine to keep it running for the mechanic to check it out. I sat in the van way up on the lift.A small leak at the o2 senser was the villian(still is). I also suspect this as your problem as you say it is getting worse.The pin hole gets bigger and the symptoms get worse.

I would check your exhaust carefully.You got guts to be traveling is such a hybrid ,way out there .Once again,wish I was there. Roger