Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Sep 2006 19:28:59 -0600
From:         George Thorburn <thorgk@ACCESSCOMM.CA>
Subject:      Re: anyone have any experience w/ Van-Cafe's 48" hi-lift Jack??
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM

I have owned one of these jacks for years. They are almost indestructible except for the pins that hold the springs on the large locking pins in place. The pins will bend or break. I have been using some hardened concrete nails of the correct diameter and they seem to last. (My jack is about 30 years old so they may have improved that feature by now.) I would not use one of these jacks for routine tire changing etc. I do not know if it would fit in the stock jack points but I am quite sure the four foot long rail would rub on the side of the van. I have used my jack to help free trucks stuck in ruts by jacking up the front or back of the vehicle (a heavy duty bumper was necessary) and then tipping the jack so the wheels would land on high ground. I also use this jack for pulling out old fence posts and moving large trees when cutting fire wood. If I remember the jack can be used in reverse to pull heavy items up to 4 feet at a time. These jack were rated to lift 4 tons. This is more of a Syncro rescue tool than an every day jack. I have seen pictures of this style jack on David Marshall's expedition style Syncros. George '85 Westfalia