Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Sep 2006 14:45:59 -0400
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Life not in a van (was RE: Parking Matilda) - no bass content
              whatsoever

Thanks for the warning, George. The PO actually had a cover for her - now if I can find it, I might use it. But at the moment she's my bedroom, so I can't exactly cover her! Maybe I'll do some serious cleaning and make room for her in the garage - I guess that would be sensible. But not very nice as a bedroom, the garage is kind of dark.

Meanwhile I'm having serious withdrawal! Living in a house is certainly convenient - love that shower, and being able to run water in the sink without worrying where the gray water is going or whether my water tank is empty is sure nice. But I really don't want to get settled in, buy furniture, and get anchored by all that stuff I worked so hard to get rid of when Matilda and I set out together.

And my tenant (also an old friend of mine, though maybe not any more?) left all kinds of crap in my house, which she keeps telling me I should keep, because it's "useful." Not to mention all the crap of hers that she forgot, the stuff she didn't realize was there and doesn't want me to discard (who knew she had a Barbie doll?), the stuff she just didn't get around to moving out yet, and the things that are just plain weird. Like the 50 one-gallon jugs of tap water in the basement, the twenty or thirty five-gallon white plastic buckets in the garage, the big plastic bags full of foam rubber, etc. etc. She seems to think she's going to have an ongoing role gardening my backyard, too - but I want that huge compost container gone! Not to mention the tomato plants that are not providing tomatoes, etc. etc. etc.

Sorry for the rant! Not much Vanagon content here. But not much bass content, either, though, so I guess it's okay.

Joy

p.s. At least I did meet a fellow vanagonaut today, at an "antiques" fair that sets up in Arlington every Saturday. She and her husband are new to Westies - they only adopted a week ago! - so we chatted, and I gave them lots of useful references, especially this list, Larry's mechanics list on roadhaus.com, and suggestions about Vanagon get-togethers. So that slightly eased my withdrawal pains.

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht now living in a real house in northern Virginia and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon now living in the driveway and resting after two and a half years lugging Joy and her stuff around...

For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://www.joyhecht.net

_____