Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Sep 2006 15:16:03 -0400
From:         neil <goofymuso@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Clutch housing rebuild questions (searched archicve) + small
              report
Comments: To: Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>

Hi.

Just reposted a shorter version, and found your response.

--- Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> Here is what you do.Get a new brass bearing from > Rancho transmissions($10),in calif. .......

> Tap a thread in the new brass bearing. Get a bolt to > screw into the brass > bearing.That will hold it.

Just so my beer-brain will understand....

though I understand this part to be for HD clutch, am I "Killing two birds" by threading and installing? i.e. I don't have to thread tranny for larger pivot bolt, but thread brass bushing for new "pivot bolt" and use this beefier part to replace stock plastic bearing and sleeve?

>There is a circlip on > the inside that will > provide a bearing stop when the new bearing is > driven in.Perhaps it has > come off?

Good idea, but pretty sure not. I recall using circlip pliers to move it out of goove.

COS was totally stuck. I even went to length of shaping jaws of cheap puller and lightly c-clamped these jaws to keep it from straying while attempting to pull COS off. Didn't help. Those cheap A** jaws just bent. Ironically, and FWIW, in a vise, it was easy to drive remainder of rel. shaft out of COS. Regardless cut COS is in half. All parts removed ex. D-side copper bushing.

> The passenger side bearing is brass and > usually in good > shape,still.

D-side bearing had a little play in it (fore-aft) but wasn't too worn as you say. Regardless will be replacing since I'm in there.

>The driver side bearing,the one that > takes the load, is > PLASTIC. If you want a AHD clutch,get a brass > bearing first.

And to reiterate to my brain, this is the bearing you got from Calif. and were suggesting to tap for pilot bolt?

Thanks so much,

Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia.

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil