Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Sep 2006 06:30:13 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      6th Annual Van-O-Rama Report... Thanks for all those who
              attended...
Comments: To: syncro@yahoogroups.com, Adventurewagen@yahoogroups.com,
          subaruvanagon@yahoogroups.com, Vanagon-Westfalia@yahoogroups.com,
          vanagon@yahoogroups.com, Vanagon-VAG-EngConv@yahoogroups.com

Hi Gang,

It was a fun day as usual with some of the usual suspects and some new ones this year. We had a couple of dozen 20 Vanagons of various configurations of which 3 were doublecabs and 2 were Adventurewagens. The rest were Westies and Vanagons (both Syncros and 2wd).

IIRC there were about 2 Subie powered rigs. There was Warren's 2.5, & Paul's 2.2. New to the scene, Ming-Wei Shen & wife Karen came with their former Diesel Westy which Paul converted to a 2.0 liter crossflow head inline-4. He did all the work himself including he wiring w/o a kit of any sort. He also has a rear hatch rack with a shelf made from recycled car parts (pics later) which made a perfect table to serve the pizzas.

My special thanks to my GF SpicyT who got the pizzas for us when I was not able to get way to get them myself. You gotta love her for not only putting up with my Vanagon hobby but actually putting up with me!

Body conversion kudos to Paul F. Not only did Paul Syncronize his 2wd formerly automatic transmission Westy but he slipped a Subie engine in there too. He does still have some minor tweaking left like making the exhaust face towards the back of the van. =) Amazing accomplishment, Paul. Honorable mention to Kim Q. for his Adventurewagen hightop conversion on his bright yellow 87 Syncro. Kim's kids seemed a bit confused with the two AW's as we saw them playing inside Thadd's 87 AW. They seem to fellas comfortable in there as they did in their own van. Daddy Kim was tinkering with Thadd's recently acquired rig -- playing with the awning, etc. Warren was also showing off his newly modified burgundy (maroon) Syncro Westy's new widened wheel arch. No rubber arches for Warren. His wheel arches sported a revised opening. The best thing I can tell you is they looked stock.

Kim S. came with his nice white Tristar and parked it next to my 88 Doka with a cargo full of parts (3 trannies of which 2 were 5-speeds, plus an engine and remnants of my 89 parts van). Mario M. parked his dove blue Doka just across from us. Charlie in his 83 Westy could only pine away as his 89 Tristar is still awaiting certification. At least he was able to scrutinize some of the features he is expecting will be on his upcoming ride. I was going to bring my Tristar 4th door but figured I should wait until next year AFTER I have it installed in my Doka.

Keith O. came with his Viking faced 90 Syncro Westy. He was accompanied on the drive in my other Marinite Jeff V. in his 87 Syncro Westy (thanks for the Westy screens, Jeff). Recent MARIN County resident Mike Miller was missing in action. He was working on his Country Homes Syncro in the morning and never did finish in time.

Speaking of Country Homes conversions, I saw my old flash silver 90 Syncro CH which was driven by Angie and Jim. They bought the van when Angie was pregnant. Nice to see their new son Orion was already enjoying the Vanagon camaraderie. Angie can fit behind the wheel now! There must be something going on in Country Homes because Paolo and his wife came with their infant son to along with their two other kids. I'm glad I don't have a CH anymore. At least I only look pregnant.

Bumpers, bumpers, bumpers. No less than 4 tube-bumpered Westies were in attendance. Jeff, Keith and Charlie had VC bumpers. Tim Fong had the real deal. His Projektzwo bumpers cost as much as what I paid for my 88 Doka. Yikes! BTW, Tim, thanks for always bringing folding chairs. Next time, bring a damned table too. =) That goes for Jero as well. These two normally bring tables and I have grown accustomed to that. Neither of them brought one this time so we had to make do with Ming's rear rack for the pizzas.

There was some money swapping going on in that parking lot. Paolo just snagged a clean powersteering rack and good used transmission for his Rhinoliner covered CH roof Vanagon. Of course, I ended up with a pair of Westy screens for a measly $25. Paolo was also giving way some factory rubber mats. I got one piece and Jim T. got some for his CH conversion. There was a lone tow hook hitch for $40 that didn't sell. Craig F. also had his 90 or 91 Orly Blue Multivan for sale. Mrs. F. was on hand to oversee that he was really trying to sell one of his many Vanagons. I told her that he was an angel compared to me. He has about 5. I have 9. She gave a sigh of relief and a nice smile as Paolo unloaded the tranny and steering rack of their van.

Mike & Tal B. came with the only aircooled in attendance. The just acquired this nice white 82 Westy with auto trans. It was in nice shape shape except he did have those Astroturf colored floor mats. I don't know, Mike. They remind me to much of a black jack table. Are you holding a crap game in there? J/K.. congrats on the new acquisition. Thadd L.also just got his gold 87 (?) Adventurewagen. Welcome both to the community.

John & Vicki S. came with their nice gold 87 equipped with wheel chair ramp. Nice color matched steel wheels w/ chrome hubcaps gave their ride a "fresh" old school look. Goes to show you don't need alloy wheels to look cool. Dan L. and his 87 Syncro Westy with the cool roof rack also sported steel wheels. His looked like SA 15" steel rims. They look perfectly matched and good solution for those seeking a larger wheel and tire combo without the huge expense of alloys plus the added advantage of offroad durability. Other Syncros in attendance were Jero's 90 non-GL and Peter S.'s 86 Syncro van. Peter brought his Dad who was visiting the US (from the Emerald Isles?).

It was an unusually overcast day at this park. It got downright chilly as the afternoon rolled in. By the time the last attendee left, it was 735pm in the evening. I can't wait to do this again today. Thank you all again for coming. If I missed sending you this email, it's because you did not put your name down on the sign-up sheet. Yes, I know I didn't put it out until some of you have left. So sorry. Pictures to follow as soon as I have time to upload them somewhere.

Cheers,

BenT & SpicyT (no that's not her real name)

On 9/9/06, Terry K <CTONLINE@webtv.net> wrote: > > And Yesterday was yesterday Benny--- > Good Call.