Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Sep 2006 09:36:22 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: eurovan poptop conversion?
Comments: To: trleek@GMAIL.COM

In a message dated 9/10/06 7:44:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time, trleek@GMAIL.COM writes:

> Sad to report that my wife is making me sell our 87 wolfsburg. She > worries about head-on collisions, shoulder belts for the three kids, > airbags, etc. Picky picky. Said dragon lady is willing to get, > instead, a 2000 Eurovan. So I am investigating. Poptop Eurovans of > 2000 vintage appear to command $20-$30K. Good heavens. Too much for > a 7-year-old van in my humble opinion. However, I've seen many > non-poptops of same year selling for less than $10K. There's one for > $9K on ebay right now. This is the buy-it-now price, even. What is up > with this freaky disparity? Is the poptop really worth $10-20K? > > Anyway, here's my question. Can't I get one of those seemingly budget > 2000 Eurovans, cut a hole in the roof, and bolt on a poptop? Will it > take the Vanagon poptop or is that entirely the wrong shape/size? I > imagine these are easier to come by than the Eurovan one. How hard > would it be to get an actual spare Eurovan poptop to install on it? > Or does this f-up the air conditioning completely? Or something even > more crucial... Any advice would be much appreciated! Any experience > actually performing this conversion would be even better! > > Thanks as usual for the great advice I'm likely to get. > >

i love posts like this.. well we can see who wears the pants in your family :<) another reason why i am single! no "S.O." to tell me what i can or cant drive.. come on man, get some b*lls !! :<) *smiles* you keep the vanagon, and buy her a cheap late 90's chrysler dodge caravan or whatever with all the above features she must have and put the rest of the money you'd be blowing on a 2000-2003 eurovan back into your pocket.

seriously tho, you can get middle and rear shoulderbelts for the vanagon, they did make them, and they are available. all 90-91 passenger vans had the middle and rear shoulderbelts stock. i have sold many sets over the years.. i have some middle shoulderbelts for sale now. as far as head on collisions, im sure youve seen the pics of the head on vanagon/volvo collision.. the vanagon fared very well. this has been posted ad-nasueam (sp?) all over the internet for years.. i am parting out a '90 GL right now that had a frontal collision with a SUV - and the driver did not require any medical treatment aside from minor bruising. i will get pics of this, if anyone wants?

as far as a eurovan, the vanagon poptop wont fit it at all, and yes youd lose the rear a/c. the stock eurovans w/ poptops only have front a/c.

it always makes me laugh when i hear people say "i have to ask my wife first" or "my wife says i cant have it" ugh!! come on dude.. get some! :<) LOL

chris